Monday, May 16, 2011

Sweet-Tart

This past week as been unusually cold and rainy in Minnesota.  It felt like November for a few days there. I decided, at the very least, to bring summer into my house.  For me, blueberries are towards the top of the list for summer fruits and I decided to use them in a sour cream tart this weekend. I've actually never made a tart before, so I even got to invest in a brand new tart pan.  I've been eye-balling it for weeks at Williams-Sanoma. I'm an odd 25 year-old, I sit and drool over baking pans and kitchen gadgets. I don't usually buy pans that only have one use for them, but I NEEDED this tart! See, I didn't necessarily want it, but needed it. This is how I justify things. 

I have this cookbook called, 'Chicken and Egg', which I've previously mentioned, and it's fantastic.  This cookbook is where I found the recipe for a Blueberry Sour Cream Tart. This tart looked so amazing in the photos and then I read the ingredients and I had to make it. The crust is buttery and tastes somewhat like a sugar cookie and the custard is slightly tangy and resembles a cheesecake. You just scatter fresh blueberries on top with some delicious warm jelly and you have an amazing dessert.

Since I had never made a tart before, there was one thing I was particularly worried about. I even texted a friend to obsess about it for a moment and ask her opinion. To grease or not to grease the pan, that is the question.  It doesn't say to do anything with the pan in this recipe, and I even checked with other recipes online. Nothing.  Normally that would mean to leave it alone, but at the store they sold a non-stick pan next to the regular one that I bought. Why would one need to spend $15 more on a non-stick pan if the crust doesn't stick to it in the first place. Yup, these are the things I worry about, welcome to my brain, it's insane. I took a risk and DID NOT grease the pan. I'm so dangerous! It came out perfect! No sticking! When I took the tart out of the pan a friend of mine was standing there and said it looked beautiful. When a man calls a baked item beautiful, you know you did something right.

I hope you get to bring some summer into your house too, or at least get to buy a new baking pan. Here is the recipe I've been drooling over!


Blueberry Sour Cream Tart

Crust
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, seperated


Filling
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest


2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup red currant jelly, warmed


To make the crust: Whisk together the flour, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl.  Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl and with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth.  Add the egg yolk and beat until blended.  Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, beating just until a dough forms.  On a lightly floured work surface, press the dough into a flat disk.  Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 14-by-4 1/2 inch rectangular or 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.





Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or freeze for 15 minutes or until firm.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Whisk the egg white until frothy.  Lightly brush the inside of the crust with the egg white.  Bake for 15 minutes or until pale brown and set.  Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.


To make the filling:  Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Beat in the flour. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.  Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, and orange zest.  Pour into the baked crust.





Bake the tart for 20 minutes or until slightly puffed around the edge.  Cool completely on a wire rack.


Pile the blueberries on top of the tart.  Brush the red currant jelly over the blueberries.  Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.




 This recipe calls for red currant jam, but I couldn't seem to find any. I used black currant jam and it was still delicious.  I'm assuming that there may not be much of a difference between them, but who knows. If you have a tart pan you need to make this! It will help with our slow start to summer. Happy Baking!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment