Sunday, February 5, 2012

Stout Brownies


I realize that a lot of people get excited for the Super Bowl, but I'm not one of them. The reason I show any excitement at all really is because it means that baseball is right around the corner. Spring training starts soon! Woo-hoo! Since I am a baseball fan, I understand people's excitement for the game of football. For others, it might just be a reason to party and have a good time. Oh, and eat. Well, I'm joining the party this year with Chocolate-Stout Brownies. There is beer in these brownies so it's like a party for your mouth, right?? Yeah, I thought so.

I had only two small problems, if you want to call them that, with this cake. My glaze came out pretty thick but I'm wondering if it's because I melted the butter with the chocolate and it says to stir the butter in after the chocolate is melted. Could it really have made that much of a difference? Must have. It was still great tasting, somewhat like a ganache, but I think it was supposed to be a thin layer that somewhat hardened. Mine totally did not do that. It was like a big piece of gooey, delicious cake. The other 'problem' was that I forgot to grease the foil before I poured in the batter. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend forgetting to do that. My brownies were quite difficult to get out in one piece. I would still recommend these brownies. The issues I had with them were completely my fault and didn't harm the taste of them at all.  I hope your Super Bowl 'holiday' is wonderful and your team wins and gets that big trophy and stuff. In our house, we will be eating junk food and watching Law and Order. Shocker.

Chocolate-Stout Brownies
Adapted from bon appetit

Ingredients: 

1 cup stout
16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided  
2 1/4 sticks unsalted butter  
1 1/2 cups sugar  
3 large eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
3/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided  
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang. Bring stout to a boil in a sauce pan; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool. Reserve 1/4 cup stout.


Stir 12 oz. chopped, bittersweet chocolate and 1 cup, cut-up butter in a medium bowl, I use glass, set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. 



Whisk sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl to mix. Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture, then 1/4 cup stout from pan. Stir in flour and 1 1/4 tsp. salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.



Bake brownies until surface begins to crack and a tester comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 40-45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for at least 20 minutes. Stir remaining 4 oz. chocolate in a medium bowl set over a sauce pan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Add reserved 1/4 cup reduced stout, remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, and 1/4 tsp. salt; whisk until well blended.

Pour warm glaze over brownies. Let stand at room temperature until glaze is set, about 40 minutes.

Using foil overhang, lift brownie from pan; cut into squares. I managed to forget to grease my foil before I poured the batter into the pan. Oops. My brownies stuck to the bottom so they didn't look as neat and pretty as they should have, but they were still tasty. Don't forget to use some non-stick spray!


No comments:

Post a Comment