Thursday, August 4, 2011

peach fuzz

One of my favorite summer smells is a ripe, juicy peach. Seriously, I can sniff a peach for entirely too long and most people would probably consider it an uncomfortable amount of time. Peaches remind  me  of my grandma's kitchen on the farm with her stacks of boxes filled with peaches in the entryway on top of the washing machine.  Every summer she would can them and they were completely amazing. I would even go as far as to say maybe the best ever. Yup. I remember eating  bowls full of them and then proceeding to drink, rather slurp, the sugary juice. I wish I could get my hands on one of those jars of peaches...

Buuuuuuuut I won't get my hands on a jar anytime soon. Granny stopped canning them and there is no way I am ever going to do it myself. Seriously, I don't think there is anyone on the planet that could talk me into peeling that many peaches. I just peeled and chopped two peaches and I was already feeling crazed. They are a slippery, sticky mess and I want nothing to do with canning them. I have decided to bake with them instead and I found the perfect cookie. I'm almost positive I've never eaten a cookie with fresh peaches in it before and if I have and forgotten about it, my apologies to the baker for not appreciating your cookie enough to remember it. In my mind this is the first fresh peach cookie I've ever seen with my own two eyes.

This recipe needs you to peel a couple peaches and I've always heard the best way to peel them is to blanch them. I had never personally blanched a peach but I was very prepared. I made my X on the bottom side of the peach, I had my water boiling and I also had a giant bowl filled with ice water. To begin, boil the peach for 40-60 seconds:

Take the peaches out of the boiling water and put straight into the ice water and let them sit  for about 1 minute:


Take them out of the water and peel back the skin starting with your X spot and that's it! You have a peeled peach.  This process was easy enough, but it just seemed ridiculous.  Now your peaches are peeled and you are ready to go. Below is the recipe for the cookie and I hope you get a chance to bake 'em!

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/3 cup peach jam or preserves
2 tablespoons fine sanding sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.

Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Add peaches and jam, and beat until just combined.

Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing about 2 inches apart. (If not baking all of the cookies at once, refrigerate dough between batches; dough can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.)

Combine sanding sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle each cookie with 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes, and then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

These cookies smell fantastic. Uff. They are soft and the texture is almost cake like. I will be making these again. Happy Baking. Oh, and if your grandma cans peaches please hook me up. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment