Monday, October 31, 2011

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies


Happy Halloween! If there was one thing my parents always had in the house on Halloween it was candy corn. I hate admitting this, but I actually love the stuff. Every year I talk about how disgusting those little candies are and then I actually eat one and I am once again hooked. Immediately. I found out some candy corn trivia today, and apparently it has been around since the 1880s, and it was the created by the same company that ended up creating the Jelly Belly jelly bean. Yup, I'm always full of useless information, but I bet you feel good knowing that by buying that candy corn you are keeping up a tradition.  My mother always put our candy corn in a dish next to those disgusting waxy type sugary pumpkins. You know the ones, right? They are about the size of a quarter, and orange with a little green top. I think they are made out of almost the same exact type of sugar mess that the candy corn is made out of, but six times the size and after eating one your teeth have a coating on them. They also don't really have a flavor. At all. I don't recommend the pumpkins, but to be honest, I think those were my mom's favorite.

Somebody is loving on these candy corns because they sell about 9 BILLION kernels every year. I contributed this year because we have around 100 kernels in our house. Who knew that candy corn was such a gold mine?! Anyway, I decided to use this tiny treat in my Halloween cookie this year. The Candy Corn Sugar Cookie was Martha Stewart's Cookie of the Day, and now it is also my cookie of the day. I hope you have a safe and fun Halloween and maybe you can use your leftover candy corn with these cookies. They are quite tasty and come in two easy flavors.  Enjoy and here is the recipe:



Candy Corn Sugar Cookies 

Recipe from Martha Stewart cookie of the day

 Ingredients

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
About 36 candy corns

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter and sugar in a medium bowl; beat until combined. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Add flour, and mix until a dough forms. It will be quite crumbly.



Scoop out teaspoons of dough, and roll into balls. Place balls on baking sheets, 2 inches apart.



Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are firm and cookies are dry to the touch. They will also crack a little on the sides. 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from oven; gently press a candy corn into center of each cookie (surface of cookies may crack slightly). Cool on sheets 1 minute; transfer to a rack to cool completely.

*Chocolate Variation: Reduce the amount of flour given in the recipe to 1/2 cup. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder along with the flour in step 1, and proceed.


No comments:

Post a Comment