Monday, November 7, 2011

Salty Sweet Peanut Butter Cookies


It's November, which means it's National Peanut Butter Month! I have a few peanut butter facts for you to enjoy. Ok, did you know that it takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter? Fact. By law, any product labeled "peanut butter" in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts. Which completely makes sense, by the way. Also, did you know that peanut butter was the secret behind "Mr. Ed," TV's talking horse? Fascinating, I know. AND, the average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year. Whoa. Peanut butter is one amazing treat.


A few weeks ago, I made homemade peanut butter out of Minnesota peanuts and I mostly wanted that peanut butter for baking.  I got to make a type of peanut butter cookie out of that jar of peanut butter and I was very please with the results. I was a little nervous about baking with it because I had never used homemade peanut butter in any sort of recipe before, but it held up amazingly well. I also used some of the leftover peanuts in these cookies as well. I want to say these cookies were better than any peanut butter cookie I'd ever had because I used the freshest main ingredient I could get. Even if you don't make your own peanut butter, I think you will completely love these cookies. I'll definitely make them again. Enjoy!

Salty Sweet Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

*1/4 cup sugar for rolling
*Sea Salt for sprinkling

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, cinnamon and the salt. Whisk together and set aside.


In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chopped peanuts and chocolate chips. Put the leftover 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, roll around until coated, then place onto cookie sheets. Using a fork, lightly indent with a criss-cross pattern, but do not overly flatten cookies. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes, then carefully remove them to a rack to cool completely.




***I was recently interviewed about my peanut butter making and if you are interesting in listening you can check that out HERE.  If for some reason this link doesn't work, email me at: nimmowblog@gmail.com and I will personally email you the link. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I wait selfishly for these.Oh, by the way, the radio interview is awesome. If I had my own radio station, "Mary in the Morning" would be at 7AM sharp every morning.

    ReplyDelete